- Keep your wood cutting boards in excellent shape and ready for use with Cutting Board Oil by the Real Milk Paint Co. We created Cutting Board Oil after analyzing numerous products currently on the market and realizing that the majority contained mineral oil, which is a substance derived from the processing of crude oil (petroleum distillate/petro-chemical). With that in mind, our Cutting Board Oil offers superior quality for food contact and food preparation surfaces thanks to a 100% plant-based formulation that conditions, seals, and protects your favorite wooden cutting board, wooden bowls, utensils, and charcuterie boards.
- Tung Oil is a hard drying wood oil that provides a lustrous and beautiful finish. It resists marring, penetrates well, and is environmentally friendly. Our tung oil is 100% pure and of the highest quality you'll find. It's all-natural, food safe, and creates a matte finish. FDA approved for food contact. Not convinced? Read the reviews below.
- A perfect blend of Pure Tung Oil and natural, food-grade thinner Citrus Solvent. Most projects require the thick viscosity of Pure Tung Oil to be thinned for better absorption into the surface. Half & Half is great for projects large and small. We've done the mixing so you don't have to!
- Tung oil with natural resin to add depth to your grain and instantly have an aged look.
- Dark Half adds depth to your grain to instantly give an aged look. A perfect blend of our Dark Tung Oil and natural, food-grade thinner, Citrus Solvent. Most projects require the thick viscosity of raw tung oil to be thinned in order to soak into the surface, so we have done that for you!
- Hemp Oil dries to a matte finish and will not produce a gloss or even much sheen. Boasting qualities such as food contact safe, hypoallergenic, all natural VOC’s, and no need for a solvent to thin the oil. This naturally thin viscosity oil will penetrate porous surfaces well. Use on bare wood, over milk paint, chalk paint, cutting boards, carved utensils, and to revive old wood finishes.
- A perfect outdoor wood treatment oil that provides a great Non-Toxic way to finish your outdoor projects! This exterior oil is made with 100% Pure Tung Oil, Pine Oil, and Zinc. Use it as a raised garden bed, deck, fencing, or pergola wood finish. This finish is food contact safe making it perfect for food gardens. Keep the natural look of your wood while protecting it from the elements with this oil treatment.
WOOD FINISHING OIL
Whether you’re looking for the perfect protective finish to your latest painting project, preserve the integrity of older work, or want to add a special touch to a treasured piece of furniture, Real Milk Paint’s wood finishing oils are an excellent choice popular among many woodworkers. Depending on the type of finish you’re looking for, you can choose from our:
- Pure tung oil or Dark tung oil
- Natural citrus solvent or half-and-half citrus solvent and tung oil
- Hemp oil
Pure tung oil has been trusted for thousands of years as a water-resistant wood finish. After drying time, this oil finish forms a protective final coat over top of the surface to which it’s been applied. Tung oil can be used as a topcoat over paint or as a finishing oil, making it great for projects like dining table tops, kitchen tables, cabinetry, floors, doors, bowls (Tung oil is FDA approved as food safe), butcher blocks, and cutting boards, and can even be used on brick and concrete. Sanding oily wood between coats with wet-dry sandpaper can result in an extra smooth and rich finish.
DARK TUNG OIL FINISH
Real Milk Paint’s dark tung oil is similar to our regular tung oil, except that it has a natural and non-toxic resin added to the mix that brings depth to wood grain. It also creates a dark, matte finish that results in a classic aged and antique look. Dark tung oil has all the same great features as our regular tung oil, so it’s ideal for all the same types of projects. It also doesn’t yellow as much as over time like some other finishes such as linseed oil, nitrocellulose lacquer or varnishes like polyurethane.
HEMP OIL FINISH
If you’re looking for natural wood oils and VOC-free finishes, hemp oil is a fantastic choice. Hemp Oil is very popular when it comes to sealing over milk paint for furniture refinishers. It requires no thinning, has a pleasant nutty aroma, and has a color that varies from a light green to a golden yellow. Like tung oil, hemp oil dries to a matte finish, and can be used on bare wood or as a finish on top of the paint.
NATURAL CITRUS SOLVENT
Our natural citrus solvent is an environmentally friendly product that can be used as a paint thinner alternative, in place of mineral spirits, and as a degreaser. Our solvent is made from pure orange peel extract and less than 2% water and doesn’t contain the additives or surfactants found in traditional paint thinners.
HALF TUNG OIL AND HALF CITRUS SOLVENT
Before being applied, tung oil has to be thinned out to ensure the best coverage and penetration. But getting the ratio right can be difficult, which is why we started bottling the perfect natural oil and citrus solvent mixture for you we call our Half & Half. This blend is ideal for:
- Coating, sealing, and protecting all types of wood from wear and water
- Bringing out wood’s natural look
- Deepening the natural wood color
CUTTING BOARD OIL
Protecting wooden kitchen and bar items is easier when they have a Cutting Board Oil finish. Formulated to prep cutting boards for use and help with regular maintenance, our Cutting Board Oil uses 100% plant-based ingredients for reliable food-contact safety, eschewing mineral oils derived from petroleum and creating an eco-friendly finishing option in an easy-to-use bottle that’s simple to keep close at hand. Use our deep-penetrating Cutting Board Oil on any type of wood surface in your kitchen, including utensils, charcuterie boards and wooden bowls, to achieve an attractive yet protective hand-rubbed low-luster finish that showcases the grain of your wood.
USING WOOD FINISHING OILS OVER MILK PAINT
Another great application for these penetrating finishing oils is to seal over Real Milk Paint. These oils effectively absorb into and through the milk paint, keeping the matte finish, and seal the paint so that it will repel water and won’t rub off. Using wood oil like this is a classic technique for Windsor chairmakers.
It’s worth noting that using a finishing oil over milk paint will result in a color shift. Pure Tung Oil and Half & Half will make colors more saturated and deeper. When being applied over lighter colors, these oils will add an amber hue. Hemp Oil will also change colors to be more saturated and deeper. But, when being applied over lighter colors it dries virtually clear.
Our wood finishing oil for sale is in stock to protect your furniture, spoon carving projects, green woodworking, and other enjoyable projects. All of our milk paint colors and finishes are guaranteed to be the highest quality and environmentally friendly.