Pure Tung Oil is a hard drying oil that provides a lustrous and beautiful finish. It resists marring, penetrates well, and is environmentally friendly. Our is the purest, highest quality you’ll find. All natural, food safe, and creates a flat finish. FDA approved for food contact. Not convinced? Read the reviews below.
Pure Tung Oil (Chinawood Oil)
Enhance the character of wood with our great water resistant finish
The Tung Oil offered by Real Milk Paint is a pure oil meaning it comes without any additives or distillates. Most other oils can be anything from a thinned down varnish to polymerized tung, and most have petroleum distillates added. Ours will not build a gloss finish or heavy finish, but will penetrate deeply into the wood to enhance character and water resistance while creating a great wood finish.
This makes our tung perfect for uses such as wood counter tops, bowls, butcher blocks, cutting boards, chopping blocks, outdoor furniture, decks, wood siding, wood flooring, concrete, brick and just about any porous surface that needs an environmentally friendly product.
We guarantee our Pure Tung Oil is ASTM Quality Tested to be light in color with the highest amount of reactive sites to ensure drying and a great wood finish. We use only the freshest, highest quality product.All of our Tung Oils are “fresh” pumped from a drum just before shipping.
Our oil is a natural “Honey” color. Cheaper grades are generally off-color or greenish. Other companies will not talk about the color oils are supposed to be because it’s their quality does not uphold. But color is important, you are using it to finish your wood so it makes sense that the way it looks plays a big part in the finish of your product.
- Zero VOC’s
- All Natural means “Green”
- Freshness Guaranteed (fresh pumped daily)!
- Best Available, Grade 1 yellow
- Naturally polymerizing finish
- Cures by oxidation not evaporation
- Does not form a glossy finish no matter the number of coats
- Form a flexible water proof finish
- Resists abrasion and acids
- Does not blister and peel (properly applied)
- Does not mold like linseed oil
- Long shelf life (will last for years, properly sealed)
- Does not darken with time like linseed oil
- Concentrated (thin one to one, doubles the coverage)
- Combined with “Citrus Solvent” makes an all-natural finish
- FDA approved for food contact
- Does not go rancid
- 7 to 10 days partial cure, 15 to 30 days full cure
- 8 oz. covers 25 sq. feet
- 16 oz. covers 50 sq. feet
- 32 oz. covers 100 sq. feet
- Gallon covers 400 sq. feet one coat
This is coverage for the oil only and not diluted with Citrus Solvent.
I was nervous about how well tung oiled wood oak floors would stand up to everything my cats have to offer (spilled food, water, cat litter, the occasional pee, poop, and vomit, as well as their dead critters — frogs, lizards, mice and gophers — but I was committed to using your tung oil for its ease of use/repair and for its environmentally-friendly qualities. One year later I am thrilled to report that the seven applications of tung oil are performing beautifully. Not one stain. (I use water to wipe up, then follow with a swipe of Urinoff.)Even for messes I haven’t found right away (no more than a day or two?), there has been no stain to the oak. Thank you for a terrific product!
The floor is fantastic! I was just cleaning it this morning with a sponge mop and it is amazing how good it looks! I am SO GLAD I found your site with all the how to. Such a WARM and DEEP look…
Properties & Characteristics
- Tung Oil is an all natural finish that is water and alkali resistant and offers a protective barrier.
- A Pure Tung Oil finish will not darken with age as other finishes will. It resists marring, penetrates well, elastic and unlikely to check.
- It resists marring, penetrates well, elastic and unlikely to check.
- Tung oil builds quickly, consolidates the wood surface and builds a transparent matte finish.
- It will not mildew or bleed like linseed oil when dry which makes it an excellent candidate for outdoor finishes.
- It should be kept in an airtight container with minimum air space.
- It contains no thinners or driers and has a light nutty odor.
- A Pure Tung Oil finish mixed with Citrus Solvent is an all-natural organic finish that is environmentally safe and food safe.
How Fresh is our Pure Tung Oil?
All of our Tung Oils are “fresh” pumped from a drum just before shipping. They are packaged in #2 HDPE recyclable bottles because being devoted to an environmentally friendly product isn’t just about the what’s in the bottle! If you’re looking for a darker finish, be sure to also see our exclusive Dark Raw Tung Oil.
For new wood floors and refinishing wood floors, applications must be thinned for the best wood finish. “Floor Finishing and Pure Tung Oil“, “How to Stain Floors” and “How to Finish Decks and Porches“.
For other applications the following methods should work well, as always test your application method before full application to a large project. We strive to provide the best information and assistance possible. If you have any question or feedback, please call.
Pure Tung Oil comes from cold pressing of the seeds or nuts of the Tung tree, which mainly grow in the mountainous regions of China away from industrialization and pollution. Climate, soil and air quality are essential for high quality oil. Ours is 100% Pure Chinese Tung Oil, which is also known as China wood oil and is an all-natural finish manufactured by pressing the tung nut, no petroleum distillates or other additives – just pure oil. Some low priced marketers will package South American Tung Oil (dark, greenish in color) and sell it as the higher quality Chinese. Chinese Tung is available in 3 grades, we only offer the best available, Grade 1 yellow. This high quality oil offers superior color, faster drying and a long term elastic finish. Elasticity is an important factor as the oil must continue to flex with the expansion and contraction of the substrate on which it is applied.
It’s one of the first and remains to be one of the only truly “Green” or environmentally friendly finishes. It is all natural and contains zero VOC’s. It’s an all-natural finishing product that provides a tough, flexible and highly water-resistant coating or wood finish. It is classed as a drying oil along with linseed, poppy seed, safflower seed, walnut, soybean, oiticica and a few other oils. Although it is relatively new to the Western world, it has been known for centuries to the Chinese, and until this century, China was the main source. It comes from the seed of the tung trees, Aleurites fordii and Aleurites montana, deciduous trees that are very susceptible to frost damage. This vulnerability has restricted the cultivation of the trees to China and South America. It’s been used in the building trades as a treatment for both stone and wooden structures; in marine trades as a preservative and water repellant on wooden boats for centuries. It is said to have been introduced to the West by Marco Polo. From the 13th to the 19th century, tung oil had only limited use in the West. More recently, it’s gained favor over linseed oil for wood finishing because it is faster drying and does not darken as much with age.
Pure Tung by the Real Milk Paint Company is recommended for wood finishing of kitchen tables, chopping blocks, cutting boards, wood and concrete counter tops, wood floors, concrete floors, refinishing wood floors, outdoor decks, outdoor furniture, wood siding, log homes both interior and exterior and similar uses. Its non-toxic nature makes it particularly appropriate for children’s toys and furniture. It gives good protection to wood paneling and molding.
The oil’s matte finish will do nicely on certain pieces of furniture, but if a glossy finish is preferred you will need to buff and wax the finish, or use polymerized tung oil or a formulated tung oil based product over the Pure Tung Oil.
We have found tung oil to be a valuable helper in the workshop. It adheres very well to metal, and a light coat rubbed onto tool steel is an effective rust inhibitor. Wooden handles will also benefit from the occasional coat.
THINNING: Can be thinned with Citrus Solvent for a all natural finish. Can also be thinned with Mineral Spirits, Paint thinner, Odorless Paint thinner. Do not use the “Green” type paint thinner or odorless paint thinners. These “Green” thinner contain water. They will not mix with the oil.
TEMPERATURE: Tung Oil should remain above freezing during and after application for a period of 10 to 15 days. If freezing temperatures do occur it is possible for the fat in the oil to rise out of the oil and deposit on the surface. The warmer the temperature the faster the oil will cure. However direct sunlight baking a surface after a “fresh” application can quickly polymerize the oil and result in a dry rubbery frosted appearance or a distinctly more glossy finish than the surrounding area.
STORING MATERIAL: Stored in moderate temperatures. Do not freeze and do not store in hot places like attics. It should also be stored out of direct sunlight like a mildly heated basement area. A mixture of Pure Tung Oil and Citrus Solvent should be stored in the “White” Citrus Solvent container. These are treated to hold the Solvent for optimum storage.
FDA: Pure Tung Oil is approved for food contact by the FDA. View document.
NOTE: Keep containers tightly closed away from extreme temperature changes and open flames. As with all oils, rags, steel wool or waste soaked with oil, may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately after use, place the oil soaked material in a sealed water-filled metal container or hang outside separately to dry.
Remember that “Quality is long enjoyed while a cheap price is long endured”. My family and dedicated associates thank you for your support.
Directions for Use
- The surface should be dusted to remove all loose particles.
- For better penetration the oil should be thinned one to one with natural Citrus Solvent.
- Any wood filling or wood staining (water or alcohol stains work best) must be done before the oil is applied.
- Using the Pure Tung Oil straight from the bottle would only be for the most thirsty surfaces like old weathered wood, 100 year old wood floors that were never finished or concrete.
- For the majority of all projects, you will thin 50% with thinners for the entire finishing process.
- The first coat of thinned material should be a liberal one.
- Apply with a natural bristle brush or sponge brush.
- Allow this application to sit for a minimum of 40 minutes so the oil can soak in. When it soaks into the wood, apply another coat immediately. Continue to apply coats, one after another, until wood is saturated and stays glossy for a minimum of 40 minutes but can be 1½ hours. If eighty percent of area stays glossy, the wood cells are saturated.
- Then, wipe down the surface with clean rag material. Continue to check for any seeping in the next few hours, and rub this off as well. Let soak in completely over night between applications. Do not allow standing oil on the surface overnight. Any standing or puddles oil should be wiped away with clean rags.
- Hang oil soaked rags up separately to dry. For woods with very dense pores like Teak wood, thin with two parts Citrus Solvent to one part oil will help it absorb better for every coat.
- Pure Tung Oil will take 7 to 10 days for a minimum cure and 15 to 30 days for a full cure.
- Tung oil can be applied pure to very porous surfaces or with Citrus Solvent added if a non-toxic finish is required.
- Thinners can accelerate the drying process and greatly improve the penetration by cutting the first coat of oil with Citrus Solvent, mineral spirits or turpentine by 50%.
- Do not use the “Green” thinners now being sold. They contain water and will not mix with the oil.
- Remember by adding petroleum mineral spirits or turpentine, the oil becomes toxic with these substances mixed into it, although the finish produced is not toxic because the thinners evaporate.
- The number of coats of oil to be applied will be determined by the intended use of the piece. Two to four coats are enough for decorative work, paneling and molding. Surfaces that receive moderate to heavy use or handling could need up to six coats for maximum protection, plus a light renewal coats a couple of times a year.
- Apply till the surface reaches the saturation point. This will be evident as the surface will not absorb more oil.
- Renewal and building coats are quickly applied with cheese cloth, a lint free cloths (old bed sheets work well). This process will give you a surface that will stand up to vigorous use and spills: water will bead on the surface.
- Do not get hung up on the number of coats, let the wood tell you when it has reached its maximum saturation.
- Pure Tung Oil will be in the wood up to the surface not on the wood like varnish or Polyurethane top coat. The end result is more like seasoning a cast iron pan.
Pure Tung Oil Wood Samples
Material Safety Data Sheet
126 Commerce Dr
Hohenwald TN 38462
24 Hour Emergency Phone: Chem-Tel Inc. 800-255-3924
Emergency Telephone Numbers:
24 hrs. Chem-Tel 800-255-3924 (within continental US)
24 hrs. 813-248-0585 (collect) (outside continental US)
Date Prepared: 02/23/05
Date Updated: 06/19/2015
Product Name: Tung Oil
Other means of identification: NC-018
Synonyms: China wood oil
Recommended use of the chemical and restrictions on use: For industrial use
Details of the supplier of the safety data sheet
Real Milk Paint Co. LLC
126 Commerce Dr
Hohenwald, TN 38462
Emergency Telephone Number/Company Phone Number:
Emergency Telephone (24 hr) CHEMTREC: 1-800-424-9300
This chemical does not meet the hazardous criteria set forth by the 2012 OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200). However, this Safety Data Sheet (SDS) contains valuable information critical to the safe handling and proper use of this product. This SDS should be retained and available for employees and other users of this product.
The product contains no substances which at their given concentration, are considered to be hazardous to health
COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Synonyms: China Wood Oil
Weight – %
First Aid Measures
General Advice: Provide this SDS to medical personnel for treatment.
Eye Contact:Rinse thoroughly with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, lifting lower and upper eyelids. Consult a physician.
Skin Contact:Wash off immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes.
Inhalation:Remove to fresh air.
Ingestion:Clean mouth with water and drink afterwards plenty of water.
Most important symptoms and effects
Symptoms:Direct contact with eyes may cause temporary irritation. May cause discomfort if swallowed.
Indication of any immediate medical attention and special treatment needed
Notes to Physician:Treat symptomatically.
Suitable Extinguishing Media:Dry chemical or CO2, Alcohol resistant foam.
Unsuitable Extinguishing Media:Water jet.
Specific Hazards Arising from the Chemical:Flammable in presence of open flames.
Protective equipment and precautions for firefighters: As in any fire, wear self-contained breathing apparatus pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent) and full protective gear.
ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
Personal precautions, protective equipment and emergency procedures
Personal Precautions:Use personal protective equipment as required.
Methods and material for containment and cleaning up
Methods for Containment:Prevent further leakage or spillage if safe to do so. Absorb spill with inert material (e.g. dry sand or earth).
Methods for Clean-Up:Sweep up absorbed material and shovel into suitable containers for disposal. Discard any product, residue, disposable container or liner in full compliance with federal, state, and local regulations. For waste disposal, see section 13 of the SDS.
HANDLING AND STORAGE
Precautions for safe handling
Advice on Safe Handling: Handle in accordance with good industrial hygiene and safety practice. Wash face, hands, and any exposed skin thoroughly after handling. Avoid contact with skin, eyes or clothing. Keep away from heat.
Conditions for safe storage, including any incompatibilities
Storage Conditions:Store away from heat, sparks, flame. Store away from ignition sources and incompatible materials. Keep container tightly closed and store in a cool, dry and well-ventilated place.
Incompatible Materials:Strong oxidizing agents
EXPOSURE CONTROLS/PERSONAL PROTECTION
Exposure Guidelines:The following information is given as general guidance
Appropriate engineering controls/Engineering ControlsExplosion-proof general and local exhaust ventilation. Facilities storing or utilizing this material should be equipped with an eyewash facility and a safety shower. Work with fume hood.
Individual protection measures, such as personal protective equipment
Eye/Face Protection:Splash goggles or safety glasses.
Skin and Body Protection:Wear protective gloves, Wear a lab coat.
Respiratory ProtectionNIOSH approved dust respirator.
General Hygiene Considerations:Handle in accordance with good industrial hygiene and safety practice
PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
Information on basic physical and chemical properties
Melting Point/Freezing Point
Boiling Point/Boiling Range
Flammability (Solid, Gas)
Upper Flammability Limits
Lower Flammability Limit
Solubility in other solvents
289 °C / 552 °F CC (closed cup)
Insoluble in water
0.937 g/cm3 at 25 °C (77 °F)
STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
Reactivity: Not reactive under normal conditions
Chemical Stability: Stable under recommended storage conditions.
Possibility of Hazardous Reactions: None under normal processing.
Conditions to Avoid: Keep out of reach of children.
Incompatible Materials: Strong oxidizing agents.
Hazardous Decomposition Products: None known based on information supplied
Information on likely routes of exposure
Eye Contact:Direct contact with eyes may cause temporary irritation.
Skin Contact: Avoid contact with skin.
Inhalation: Avoid breathing vapors or mists.
Ingestion: May cause discomfort if swallowed
Component Information: Not available
Information on physical, chemical and toxicological effects
Symptoms:Please see section 4 of this SDS for symptoms.
Delayed and immediate effects as well as chronic effects from short and long-term exposure
Carcinogenicity: This product does not contain any carcinogens or potential carcinogens as listed by OSHA, IARC or NTP.
Vapor Pressure: Not determined
Vapor Density: Not determined
Specific Gravity: 0.9360-0.9395
Water Solubility: Insoluble in water
Solubility in other solvents: Not determined
Partition Coefficient: Not determined
Autoignition Temperature: Not determined
Decomposition Temperature: Not determined
Ecotoxicity: An environmental hazard cannot be excluded in the event of unprofessional handling or disposal.
Component Information: Not available
Persistence/Degradability: Not determined
Bioaccumulation: Not determined
Mobility: Not determined
Other Adverse Effects: Not determined
Waste Treatment Methods
Disposal of Wastes: Disposal should be in accordance with applicable regional, national and local laws and regulations.
Contaminated Packaging: Disposal should be in accordance with applicable regional, national and local laws and regulations.
Note: Please see current shipping paper for most up to date shipping information, including exemptions and special circumstances.
DOT – Not regulated
IATA – Not regulated
IMDG – Not regulated
International Inventories: Not determined
TSC A – United States Toxic Substances Control Act Section 8(b) Inventory
DSL/NDSL – Canadian Domestic Substances List/Non-Domestic Substances List
EINE CS/E LINCS – European Inventory of Existing Chemical Substances/European List of Notified Chemical Substances
ENCS – Japan Existing and New Chemical Substances
IE CSC – China Inventory of Existing Chemical Substances
K E CL – Korean Existing and Evaluated Chemical Substances
PIC CS – Philippines Inventory of Chemicals and Chemical Substances
US Federal Regulations
SARA 313:Not determined
US State Regulations
U.S. State Right-to-Know Regulations:Not determined
Issue Date: 02-Jul-2013
Revision Date: 02-Jul-2013
Revision Note: New format
The information provided in this Safety Data Sheet is correct to the best of our knowledge, information and belief at the date of its publication. The information given is designed only as a guidance for safe handling, use, processing, storage, transportation, disposal and release and is not to be considered a warranty or quality specification. The information relates only to the specific material designated and may not be valid for such material used in combination with any other materials or in any process, unless specified in the text.