All Finishing Creams are No Odor Non VOC’s water base top coats that provide a protective, washable topcoat. Available in Gloss, Low Sheen and Dead Flat. They will not change the color of the surface you are applying it to. Burnishing Paste can be painted over with any paint in the future including Real Milk Paint. Brush, rag or sponge on surfaces. Quick clean up with soap and water. Dead Flat is not recommended over black color paints.
Water-based, protective, washable, matte top coat
Finishing Creams (formerly called Burnishing Pastes) by The Real Milk Paint Company are easy to apply thick or thin. You can also add more of any of the Finishing Creams years down the road if the finish wears away with use. Low Sheen Finishing Cream, Dead Flat Finishing Cream, and Gloss Finishing Cream are No Odor Non VOC’s water base top coats that have non-existent to minimal gloss appearance. Low-Sheen Finishing Cream will impart a slight luster to a surface, while Dead Flat Finishing Cream is completely matte. It can be applied with a rag, brush, damp sponge, or spatula. Our preferred method is cross-hatch application with a brush on walls. Finishing Creams will dry to a clear finish whereas Finishing Glazes will produce a tint.
Applied over our non-toxic paint or used to protect wood finishes, Finishing Creams are versatile and strong. Finishing Creams can be used on new or old surfaces, and they are an excellent top coat for Real Milk Paint on cabinets or walls and trim, especially in kitchens and bathrooms. High-traffic areas such as these can really use the extra protection to make wall paint or stained wood last a long time. These Finishing Creams will still slightly wet the pigment in the paint to make it a shade darker and can take 30 to 60 minutes to fully dry, depending on the thickness of the application. Real Milk Paint can be painted directly over Finishing Creams. These can be used between layers of Real Milk Paint as a barrier coat, to help make creating a distressed look easier. A surface sealed with Finishing Cream or Finishing Glaze will be washable after 24 hours.
- 8 oz. covers 25 to 35 sq. ft.
- 16 oz. covers 50 to 70 sq. ft.
- 32 oz. covers 100 to 140 sq. ft.
- Environmentally Friendly
- Water Based
- No odor
- Easy to Apply
- Washable (after 24 hours)
- Soap and Water Clean up
“I found these top coats virtually fool-proof. It can be applied thick or thin. The best application method for ‘Dead Flat’ was cross-hatched with a brush. We did our entire kitchen upgrade to test this before launching. Very pleased with the result!”
Dwayne Siever, Real Milk Paint founder
Tips for Use
- Helps to hide or enhance moldings, trims and recessed areas on decorative surfaces. A one-coat application is easy to apply with a brush (foam or bristle), rag, short pile roller, or damp cellulose sponge.
- Finishing Glazes are an ideal method to achieve a tinted finish after Real Milk Paint is dry if you. Real Milk Paint can also be painted directly over all Finishing Creams or Finishing Glazes with no Ultra Bond needed.
- Finishing Creams do dry quickly so a damp applicator (we like a brush) can be helpful.
- If you choose to use a Finishing Glaze, you may also want to seal your milk paint with the Low Sheen or Dead Flat first. This will stop the milk paint from drawing in too much color from Finishing Glazes. Then use colored Finishing Glazes on top of the clear Finishing Cream finish.