All Finishing Creams are No Odor Non VOC’s water base top coats that provide a protective, washable topcoat. Available in Gloss, Low Sheen and Dead Flat. They will not change the color of the surface you are applying it to. They can be painted over with any paint in the future including Real Milk Paint. Brush, rag or sponge on surfaces. Quick cleanup with soap and water. Dead Flat is not recommended over black color paints.
Water-based, protective, washable, tinted, matte top coat
Finishing Creams (or Burnishing Pastes) by The Real Milk Paint Company are easy to apply thick or thin. You can also add more of any of the burnishing finishes years down the road if the finish wears away with use. Low Sheen Burnishing Paste and Dead Flat Burnishing Paste are No Odor Non VOC’s water base top coats that have minimal to non-existent gloss appearance. Low-Sheen Burnishing Paste will impart a slight luster to a surface, while Dead Flat Burnishing Paste is completely matte. It can be applied with a rag, brush, damp sponge or spatula. Our preferred method is cross hatch application with a brush on walls.
Applied over our non-toxic paint or used to protect wood finishes, burnishing pastes are versatile and strong. Burnishing pastes can be used on new or old surfaces, and they are an excellent top coat for Real Milk Paint on cabinets or walls and trim, especially in kitchens and bathrooms. High-traffic areas such as these can really use the extra protection to make wall paint or stained wood last a long time. These burnishing pastes will still slightly wet the pigment in the paint to make it a shade darker and can take 30 to 60 minutes to fully dry, depending on the thickness of the application. Real milk paint can be painted directly over Burnishing Pastes. These can be used between layers of Real Milk Paint as a barrier coat, to help make creating a distressed look easier. A Burnishing paste or Glaze surface will be washable after 24 hours. One quart (32 ounces) of burnishing paste should cover approximately 200 square feet.
- 8 oz. covers 25 to 35 sq. ft.
- 16 oz. covers 50 to 70 sq. ft.
- 32 oz. covers 100 to 140 sq. ft.
- Environmentally Friendly
- Water Based
- No odor
- Easy to Apply
- Washable (after 24 hours)
- Soap and Water Clean up
“I found these top coats virtually fool-proof. It can be applied thick or thin. The best application method for ‘Dead Flat’ was cross-hatched with a brush. We did our entire kitchen upgrade to test this before launching. Very pleased with the result!”
Dwayne Siever, Real Milk Paint founder
Tips for Use
- Helps to hide or enhance moldings, trims and recessed areas on decorative surfaces. A one-coat application is easy to apply with a rag, short pile roller, brush, or damp cellulose sponge.
- All burnishing pastes are ideal tinted finish after Real Milk Paint is dry. Real Milk Paint can also be painted directly over all Burnishing Creams or Pastes with no Ultra Bond needed.
- Burnishing Creams do dry quickly so a damp applicator (We like a brush) can be helpful.
- You may also want to seal your milk paint with the Low Sheen or Dead Flat first. This will stop the milk paint from drawing in too much color. Then use colored Burnishing Creams on top of the clear finish.