A perfect outdoor wood treatment oil that provides a great Non-Toxic way to finish your outdoor projects. This oil is made with 100% Pure Tung Oil, Pine Oil, and Zinc. Use it as a garden bed oil on wood or on concrete, stone or any absorbent material for outdoor finishing.
Outdoor Defense Oil
Outdoor Defense Oil is a great Non-Toxic way to finish your outdoor projects. It’s made with 100% Pure Tung Oil, Pine Oil, and Zinc. We all know about Zinc in sunburn skin care products. The zinc helps to keep mold and mildew as well as act as a UV inhibitor. Use as an outdoor wood finish or on concrete, stone and any absorbent material. This also works great as a cedar garden bed oil and it provides deck protection. Generally, 2 to 4 coats give moderate protection. More coats only if the wood will accept it. The Outdoor Defense Oil can build on a surface and my not be super smooth to the touch, but this will only happen if the oil is over applied. Will provide a matte finish. Do not apply directly under the hot sun, as the oil will polymerize very fast and leave a frosty, rubbery surface. Does not need to be thinned with solvent . Ready to be used right from the bottle. Hang rags outside separately to dry before disposing.
- Shake well before use
- Environmentally friendly oil that provides a warm glow to your outdoor furniture, concrete, stone, brick, wood, exteriors, deck protection, siding….and well you name it.
- Can be mixed with any other of our Tung Oil Products (i.e. Pure Tung Oil, Dark Tung Oil, Dark Half, Half & Half)
- Use ventilation until solvent is evaporated from finish, about 2-4 hours
- NOTE: not for use over oil base sealer type stains or other finishes. Store in moderate temperature.
- Hang rags separately outside to dry before disposing.
Directions for Use
- The surface should be dusted to remove all loose particles.
- Any wood filling or wood staining (water or alcohol stains work best) must be done before the oil is applied.
- Make sure Outdoor Defense Oil is well shaken before using product. This ensures zinc particles are in suspension and not settled on the bottom of the bottle.
- The first coat of Outdoor Defense Oil should be a liberal one.
- Apply with a natural bristle brush, sponge brush, or a thin foam roller.
- Allow this coat to sit for a minimum of 40 minutes so the oil can soak in. When it soaks into the wood, apply another coat immediately. Continue to apply coats, one after another, until the wood/concrete is saturated and stays glossy for a minimum of 40 minutes up to 1½ hours. If eighty percent of area stays glossy, the wood cells are saturated and this can be considered your final coat.
- Now, wipe down the surface with clean rag material removing any excess oil that is on the surface. Continue to check for any seeping in the next few hours, and rub this off as well. Do not allow standing oil on the surface overnight. Any standing or puddles of oil should be wiped away with clean rags.
- After allowing the oil to soak overnight, apply one more coat to the surface the next day. Let this sit for a minimum of 40 minutes, but no more than 2 hours. Wipe up any oil that has not soaked in. Now the tung oil will be in its curing stage.
- IMPORTANT Hang oil soaked rags outside separately and out of direct sunlight to dry before disposing. Do not pile rags.
- Outdoor Defense Oil will take 7 to 10 days for a minimum cure and 15 to 30 days for a full cure.
Guidelines for Use while Curing
- For floors, countertops, and other heavily used surfaces here are some general guidelines for use during the curing time of the tung oil.
- Keeping the surface free from dust, debris, dirt, and liquids during the first 7-10 days of the curing time is paramount. Feel free to move about on the surface with clean socks or rags under shoes. In fact, we encourage this as it ensures that no oil will be left on the surface and this “ice skating” will pick up any oil that may seep to the surface during the curing process.
- Restrain from covering the surface treated with tung oil for extended periods of time. The tung oil needs air exchange in order to cure.
- Furniture can be moved back onto the floor after 7-10 days of curing time has occurred. Do not put area rugs or furniture items that rest close to the surface until full 30 day cure. These will prevent air flow. Wooden furniture items should have wax paper placed between the legs and the floor to prevent wicking of oil out of the surface.
- For decks and outdoor surfaces, should it rain, remove water from the surface as soon as possible with a broom or leaf blower.
- Remember, a full cure for the tung oil is 30 days. However, the pure tung oil finish will gradually harden over that period of time. Thus more resistance to use can be anticipated in general as the curing time progresses.
- Do not apply or leave fresh tung oil on surface in direct sunlight. This will flash cure it on the surface and will turn white.
- Do not sand between coats of tung oil. This is an application technique for tung oil varnishes, not pure tung oil.
- Do not use Outdoor Defense Oil over oil based sealers, stains, and finishes.
- We recommend using a water based stain to change color of wood, before pure tung oil is applied, if color other than that provided by pure tung oil is desired.
- The number of coats of oil to be applied will be determined by the intended use of the piece. One to two coats are enough for decorative work, paneling and molding. For surfaces that receive moderate to heavy use or handling need a minimum of three and on up to six coats for maximum protection.
- Apply till the surface reaches the saturation point. This will be evident as the surface will not absorb more oil.
- Renewal and/or maintenance coats are thinly applied with cheese cloth, lint free cloths (old bed sheets work well), or old t-shirt material on an as need be basis. A two parts solvent to one part tung oil mixture is recommended for maintenance coats.
- Do not get hung up on the number of coats, let the wood tell you when it has reached its maximum saturation.
- Outdoor Defense Oil will be in the wood up to the surface not on the wood like varnish or Polyurethane top coat. The end result is more like seasoning a cast iron pan. This product will give you a surface that will stand up to vigorous use and spills: water will bead on the surface.
- After the tung oil as completely cured (30 days) cleaning of the surface can be done using hot water and mild soap, such as dish soap. Avoid using hard chemicals or acids for cleaning.
- 8oz covers 25sq. feet
- 16oz covers 50sq. feet
- 32oz covers 100sq. feet
- Gallon covers 400sq. feet
- Example: One Gallon would cover 400sq. feet one time.
What its made of
We believe in being honest with what is in our products. So, thats why we provide the ingredients used in them so you can rest assured knowing exactly whats in the product you purchase from us. Its just a way we make it easier on you.
Dark Half is made of
- Pure Tung Oil
- Pine Oil (Essential Oil)
- Zinc is used as a UV inhibitor and mildewcide. Its often found in sunburn skin care products.
- Pine oil is a naturally occurring terpene hydrocarbon. Terpenes are naturally occurring 10-carbon organic molecules manufactured in nature by green plants. They are the raw materials for many of the flavors and fragrances enjoyed by man. Most terpenes are designated GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) by the FDA and FEMA (Flavor Extracts Manufacturing Association) and are approved for human consumption in foods. The pine tree is the world’s largest commercial source of terpenes, the volatile oil from the tree, the largest volume essential oil found in nature.