Safely remove tough surface stains without bleaching the wood
Have you ever removed the finish from a piece of furniture and found black stains or black rings from metal pots? Have you ever removed the finish from a floor and found black or deep brown pet urine stains in the wood, which no amount of sanding will take out? These are all iron stains caused by the chemical reaction of tannic acid in the wood mixing with the trace metals in urine and water.
Oxalic Acid Wood Bleach can remove these types of stains all while not bleaching the wood. The instructions below illustrate how to make a big batch of bleach mixture and mop it on the whole floor. This is not necessary for single spots on the wood. It is suggested that users mix about two tablespoons of Oxalic Acid Wood Bleach in a quart of hot tap water and allow it to dissolve.
When dissolved, use an artist brush and paint it in the mixture on the stained areas only. Allow to dry. The stain will lighten. If it does not disappear, then do another coat. You may need to coat it three or four times, allowing time to dry between coats. Once the stain is gone you can sometimes get a slight halo effect around the area where the stain was bleached. To take care of this, saturate a rag with the oxalic acid solution and wipe a thin coat over the stain and surrounding area. Allow to dry. This should take care of the stains. Once the stains are gone you need to neutralize the acid so it will not react with your wood finish. Mix up two tablespoons of borax in a quart of hot water. Saturate a rag with the borax solution and wipe the floor and allow to dry. Borax is sold in the super market laundry section as Twenty Mule Laundry booster. It is a natural product.
16 oz. makes 2 gallons | $9.99
View the Wikipedia information for oxalic acid.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE:
SURFACE PREPARATION: Wood must be free of all coatings, waxes & oils. Use appropriate strippers and cleaners to remove coatings.
MIXING: ALWAYS WEAR RUBBER GLOVES, EYE PROTECTION & PROTECTIVE CLOTHING WHEN USING THIS PRODUCT. Dissolve contents of this package with one gallon of hot water.
- Add entire contents of jar to 2 gallons of water or 2 tablespoons per quart.
- Apply hot solution w/scrub brush, old paint brush or mop of large jobs. Apply liberally allowing the solution to remain on surface until bleached to desired lightness.
- If solution cools before job is finished, reheat the solution being careful not to allow it to come to a boil.
- Rinse treated area repeatedly w/clean water and allow to dry.
- Test removal of the bleach from the dried wood by wiping the surface w/dark-colored cloth checking for a powdery residue. If powder is present, rinse again w/clean water and allow to dry.
- Wood grain may be raised as a result of application of this product. Ensure all bleach residue is gone & then sand wood & finish w/desired product.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS.
MAY BE TOXIC TO SMALL PETS.
View the Material Safety Data Sheet for this product.
At The Real Milk Paint Company we do our best to provide safe products as well as information. However we cannot guarantee that individuals with compromised immune systems or allergies will not have a reaction to our products. We strongly recommend that each person take their own personal responsibility in testing this product for their own personal use.
Learn about our Lye Soap.